Wednesday, March 19, 2014

email 3.17.14

Holllllllla mi familia!

This week was awesome.  Still slow, but full of milagros, and mostly having to do with Christian!!!    

Starting with last Monday...we had the best Family Home Evening, or Noche de Hogar, in my whole mission.  It is hard to describe the spirit that was there, and the love that I felt, but it was a sacred experience for me.  So Hermano y Hermana Mendez invited us over to have a noche de hogar with their family (them, their less active son-Pinky, his girlfriend who is Christians mom and our investigator too-Amilicia, Christian-13 year old investigator, Angelita-baby sister, niece of Hno. Mendez-Joanna, and Korina and Siad our Recent converts)  Lets just say, the trailer was full.  We taught a lesson, had an activity, played jenga, and ate carne asada tacos...your typical noche de hogar.  But it was just something else, to see this family coming together and just enjoying each other.  And we were a part of it, i feel like they are my family, and always will be.      I feel so blessed to have been in their home and to feel the spirit, and to see the gospel working, changing people.  

Later in the week we had an awesome lesson with Christian.  We had given him a baptismal date of March 29th, but he was still feeling unsure about the whole proper authority business.  I decided that an analogy was in order.  I asked him what he would do if an Ice Cream truck tried to pull him over versus if a Police Man tried to pull him over, and related that to the Authority we have to baptize, like the authority they have to give tickets.  All the sudden the wheels started turning and he smiled and he agreed to be baptized, AND promised he would get to church on Sunday.  Which was a challenge, and leads me to the third milagro with him.  Every other weekend he goes to his Dad's house, which is in the area, but he never would come if he was with his Dad.  We helped him work out a way for Pinky to pick him up and drop him off, and he said he would try, but wasn't positive.  But lo and behold, he came, and Hermana Rosen and I about cried.  He knows it is true, and he is acting!  We are just so happy for him and his progress.  Who knew 13-year old boys could be so tricky?  But he is on his way, and we are just so happy for this family.

On Saturday one of the members in our ward, the Avalos Family, who are fairly recent converts and the cutest humans on the planet, invited us to come and make Pupusas at their house.  Pupusas are from El Salvador and one of my favorite hispanics foods of all time.  It is a homemade corn tortilla stuffed with yummy-ness.  We were super excited and had the best time learning how to do the whole process.  This family has been such an example to me of how the gospel really can change anyone's life, and how much joy it brings.   

This weekend was stake conference, and it was all about Temple and Family history work.  We were able to go to the Saturday night session, and it was amazing.  They showed a video of a few families who started doing family history work together and how it brought them together.  It made me want my own family really bad...ooops...But really just made me happy to see such good examples.  On Sunday our Bishop got called to be the Stake Secretary, so next week we will be getting a new Bishop.  Everyone was really sad, the ward really loves this Bishop, but they are excited for what the Lord has in store for them.  

This week Hermana Rosen and I have been working through some trials together.  I am so grateful for her and her example to me.  It is so interesting to be a missionary, and to see life through in a whole new way.  Mostly I have just been very aware this week of how much my Heavenly Father loves me, and how often he sends his spirit to guide us and everything that we do.  I love this quote by President Monson from the last General Relief Society meeting, "My dear sisters, your Heavenly Father loves you—each of you. That love never changes. It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account. It is not changed by your talents and abilities. It is simply there. It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love. It is simply always there."  Sometimes we decieve ourselves to think that Heavenly Father sometimes abandons us, but when we really pay attention we recognize that he actually has never and will never leave us.  

I am getting sad because this is Hermana Carn's last week.  We had zone Conference and she gave an amazing training on the importance of studies.  Sometimes studies are hard for me, I am tired and cold, and sometimes I have a hard time focusing.  But this week I have been trying to say much more specific prayers before and after my studies to help me learn a specific thing and apply it in a specific way, and it has been working!  Also after Zone Conference we got to go out to dinner with President and Sister Wilson!  It was the best.  Last week they accidently stood us up for dinner at their house (we are neighbors) and so they made it up to us.  It was amazing to spend so much time with them. They really are inspired people, and I love them both very much.  I just wanted to ask them all the questions I have ever had, and then just soak up every word they said.  

Funny of the week:  At dinner with President and Sister Wilson, Sister Wilson finished her food before the rest of us.  She looked down at her plate, and then very innocently looked up and said "ooops, mine must have fallen on the floor".  She is a gem.  

I hope all is well on the homefront!  Keep working hard!  I love love love you all so much!  

xoxo Hermana Myer

No comments:

Post a Comment