Tuesday, October 22, 2013

email 10.21.13


Mi familia!
 
Hola!  It looks like you guys have had another crazy week, as have I!  As always, I just wonder if I will ever feel like I have a normal day here.  I think there is something in the water, because the people in Harrisonburg are nuts.  I love them, but they are crazy!  But mostly it is the best of times. 
 
This week we have been so blessed, we have been teaching lessons like crazy, and finding so many people to teach.  We are starting to feel adjusted to each other, my new companion and I, and learning how we teach together.  We have been really busy, but I like it better that way, less time to sit around and dwell. 
 
I have started reading Matthew and I love it.  I am also only on like chapter 14, because I have too many things that I want to study!  But I love reading all about the parables and the things that Christ did.  One thing that really stuck out to me, and that I have been thinking about all weeks is when Christ walks on water and calls Peter out to meet him.  It says that he notices how stormy and scary the water is, and he starts to falter, but then Christ reaches out and helps him back up.  At first he had the faith to start going and was taking steps on his own, but when he paid attention to the world around him he started to doubt.  I feel like this is what I do all too often.  I am really good at starting out with faith, but sometimes I have moments when I doubt and think I must be crazy for believing that some things can happen.  Sometimes I sink further down, but Christ always pulls me back up.  But I was thinking this morning, why ever doubt, it is just a waste of time!  And I know that Christ is always there, and he will pull me back up, but if I know that, then there is no need to fall anyways.  Working on happiness always over here!  There are so many things that are out of my control, which can be hard at times.  But I was thinking about some advice that Ian Blackwelder gave Nicole and I at Christmas.  He said that sometimes missionaries lose their fire, even with a short time here on my mission I have seen a lot of missionaries that have lost their fire.  Sometimes we just get into the routine and stop caring about the things we are doing.  I have found that if I can have faith, never doubt, and just be happy, it helps other missionaries, and myself to keep that fire.  I love Ian, he is so wise. 
 
With that being said, life couldn't be better.  Seriously.  We are working on helping our investigators progress, and I have been crying like crazy, I just love them so much.  Mostly in our lessons with Ramon and Maria.  They are on their way!  We taught them about temples and eternal marriage, and they loved it.  We also gave them a talk by President Monson, well the whole Liahona, and they read the whole thing together.  Nothing makes me happier than seeing them change, seeing them learn about and accept the gospel.
 
I almost forgot we had a fun Bed Bug adventure this week!  I started noticing these little bug bites on my hands/wrist mid week.  I didn't think much of them, but then I started getting more, and they spread up my neck and on my face.  So I called Sister Wilson and she said we probably had bed bugs.  They are pretty nasty little guys I guess, so we had to tear apart our apartment looking for them, then buy this spray, vacuumed everything, wash all our bedding, it was a huge ordeal.  We didn't find any bugs, and the zone leaders had to come over and inspect too...but I still have the bites...we are not sure what they are but now our apartment is really clean! 
 
Life is good here in Virginia.  I think about you often, about how much I love you and how grateful I am for you.  Thank you for being supportive!  Have the best week ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment