Thursday, September 12, 2013

email 9.9.13

Mi familia-

Thank you for all your letters, I love to hear what is going on in normalish life!  It sounds like school has started, and I hope that by now things have calmed down!  Mom, I was dying laughing in the library about the proposal thing for Ryan, that is seriously too funny, I wish I could have seen the whole thing. 

This past week has been pretty good, a little crazy as usual.  Both me and my companion are sick, so that sometimes throws a wrench in things, but its all good.  

Saturday was the FIESTA of a lifetime.  It was for a 9 year old in our rama, Christian, and Mirna has been planning it since we arrived for the first transfer in Harrisonburg.  Needless to say, it was a fiesta to remember.  She went all out on everything, it was ninja turtle themed and there was even a pinata!  They had literal buckets and buckets of food, and naturally the whole rama was invited.  It was so much fun, and we also had three investigators there, which was the luckiest ever.  Also before the fiesta Hermana Flor asked us if we could help her hand make tortillas for the party, which is the best because the are SO GOOD.  Its really easy to do actually, you just use this press thing.  And good news, my tortillas puffed up in the middle when they were on the stove, which means that I am ready to get married, so thats a relief.

Church was so good yesterday!  We have the two cutest investigators, Maria and Ramon.  We found them outside a members house about a week ago.  They were hopping on a scooter to go on a date (they are probably in their 60's), so naturally I had to strike up a conversation.  They are from the Dominican Republic and they are the nicest ever.  We have taught them twice and she gets it, she totally understands and said that she will be baptized when she knows.  Whenever we stop by for daily contact they are always blasting latino music and dancing and they are just the cutest.  They came to church yesterday!  She was really concerned about coming to church because they only have the scooter but she wanted to wear a dress, but I told her I used to do that all the time, and waaawhooo, they came!  They only stayed for sacrament meeting, but baby steps!  

This month our whole mission is studying sacrifice.  President Wilson made us these little packets with talks and study materials.  I have learned so much, and realized the importance our sacrifices to the Lord.  The only thing that we as humans really have is our will, so when we sacrifice our will the Lord, he blesses us.  I think it is as simply as that.  As I was reading one of the talks (dont remember which one) I kept thinking about you Mom and Dad, and all that you sacrifice not only for the church but for our family.  Thank you for always being such good examples to me!  

This morning I was reading my patriarchal blessing and something in it made me think of the story of Esther.  So I decided to read that.  I forgot how much I love her!  She is such a good example of courage, and standing up for who you are.  I hope that I can have as much faith as she did and stand up for what I know to be true.  Not only that but not be afraid to be myself.  I figure there is not use in being a missionary robot...because who wants that?  

This week has been good, I have been about to learn alot about myself and about how I am fitting in to this missionary life.  It is all good stuff!  Thank you for everything!  I love you all very much.  

xoxo mana myer

No comments:

Post a Comment