Wednesday, August 7, 2013

email 8.5.13

My Dearest Familia-

Hola!  This week has been crazy, it has gone by so fast, and it has been the best ever.  Every day is filled with Miracles.  I don't even know where to begin.  

So I guess I will start with Erica.  On Wednesday we were out and about in the afternoon, we had had ward correlation and then we had a couple of hours before we were going to go home for dinner, but we had forgotten our area book.  It was really rainy and my comps were a little down trodden.  We were debating if we needed to go get the area book so that we could finish meeting all the members/less actives (their addresses were in there), or if we should just do some good old fashioned finding.  No one really wanted to decide, but then Hna. George just decided to follow a hispanic down a random road...I know, but guess what it works.  So we get to this apartment complex and its raining and we are all looking around for like 5 mins, and out of the blue I decided that we should knock the door with the little pink Dora chair out in front, for obvious reasons.  But my companions were not feeling it.  So we walked around for a little while and talked to some people but every other house was not hispanic and we weren't having any luck.  We were heading back to the car and we see this cute hispanic lady and her daughter outside the apartment with the chair, and the daughter was bawling.  So we head over and start chatting.  It started raining a little so she invited us in.  We ended up teaching the restoration, and it was perfect.  She was asking questions and reading and she was just golden.  Her daughter, Genesis, loved us, and we had one of the best appointments ever.  We made a follow up appointment for Friday, and we were on our way.  So there is miracle number one.  Friday comes around and we were all super excited, we get to the apartment and knock, and no one is home.  Love being a missionary.  But my sweet companion Hermana Olsen was decided that we should knock the next door neighbors door while we were over there...and to our great astonishment Erica was there!  Best ever.  So we got to teach her again, and she committed to baptism!  Miracle numero dos!  

On Saturday we did exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders, which was the best.  I got to work with Hermana Moon and she taught me how easy it is to just talk to people.  We talked to so so so many people.  We also visited the Chavez family, who are way less active.  We just wanted to meet them and see what their story was.  They have two daughters Darlene, and Yulalie, who are 11 and 9, and they were so happy that we had come because they are both dying to be baptized!  So we get to teach them this week!  Before we left we prayed with the family, and sweet Darlene thanked our Heavenly Father for sending the missionaries so that she could be baptized.  Simply a miracle.  And we were officially invited to her Birthday party, so what more could we ask for?

Sunday was a miracle all on its own.  The whole relief society room was full!  Which is saying something, compared to the first Sunday with 9 people at it.  Erica couldn't come because she went to New York for the weekend, but we had so many others.  Five less active families came, including the Chavez family, and we had two investigators.  One who just showed up (we are teaching him on Saturday) and Ceasar, who the Elders have been teaching!  I was so so so happy to see that little room full.  We have been working with the Relief society, just helping them figure out how to run it, and everyone has really pulled together.  We are having a noche de hogar (fhe) this Saturday!  It was just the best ever.  

So last week I was really struggling with speaking the Espanol.  I was feeling really disheartened and silly every time I tired to talk.  But I realized how silly that was and started to pray for confidence in the gift of tongues that I knew I already had, duh.  And what a difference it has made.  The past three days I have been talking to everyone, seriously everyone.  I am still astonished every time.  Of coarse its no where near perfect, but I just try really hard and its almost like people think its endearing.  Its really working for me.  I love prayer.  It works.  

I don't know if I have told you much about my companions, but seriously I couldn't ask for better companions.  My trainer is Hna. George.  She is such a hard worker, and she knows what is important.  She is really good at getting to know people, and she has the gift to just love everyone.  She is also really inspiring, helps us get through the days, and have fun doing it.  Hna Olsen is also the best ever.  I am really sad that she is a visa waiter, but Argentina is lucky to have her!  She is the girl version of Jack Black, needless to say we laugh constantly.  She also knows the scriptures better than probably anyone ever.  She is really smart and speaks spanish like a champ.  The three of us get along swimmingly.  

This week I have learned a lot about patience.  That is something that is really hard for me.  But being on my mission, everything just slows down, and alot of things are out of my control.  It has been hard to just let go.  But the way I see it is that Hermana Myer can do anything.  Things that were hard for Riley to do, just don't seem as hard for Hermana Myer.  So it should be interesting to see what happens when the two of them meet again, but that won't happen for ages, so I'm not going to worry about that. 

 We are really starting to get into the swing of missionary life, which is just the best!  I love this gospel, I love being a missionary, and mostly I love spanish.  I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father, and for the people he is preparing.  I love you all very much.  

xoxo, Hermana Myer

No comments:

Post a Comment