Wednesday, November 20, 2013

email 11.18.13

subject: Gordita


Mi Familia!

HURRAY for staying in Harrisonburg!  I am so happy!  Mostly because I get to see Flor's baby and also all my cute investigators and also Christmas! Also someone tell Grandma and Grandpa to come and see me!   

This week we have been all over the place!  But it is always good to shake up the environment a little, not that I dont love Harrisonburg, because I do, but you know.  

We had another meeting down in Richmond that was just for Spanish speaking missionaries, it was the best!  I got to see all my cute missionary friends and we all talked about our feelings openly, and we understood.  Like how it feels when one of your investigators calls you a gordita...and how you just smile and give them a big hug after instead of crying later when you get home.  Essentially a gordita means "littly fatty", but in the hispanic culture it is endearing, and not rude, and every singly one of us Hermanas had been called a gordita, so we bonded.  It was the best.  We also got some good advice on finding and how to sneakly eat less food, just the basics of the spanish program.  

We had stake conference this weekend and all of us missionaries went down to Waynesboro for the Audult session to sing Called to Serve as a special musical number.  President Wilson and Sister Wilson spoke and the whole meeting was about missionary work.  How fun!  I love being a missionary, it is the very best ever.  I am just hoping that everyone is starting to catch the vision.  What is it like you your neck of the woods?  We are still working to get members motivated...any new ideas to try?  It was an awesome meeting.  Sister Wilson is one of my favorite humans on the planet, she just got up and said it like it was, called them to repentance a little, and told them to start finding!  

I have been thinking this past week about what it means to be a "successful missionary"  and I have come to a conclusion, the only thing that really matters is love.  If I can honestly say I love everyone I meet/talk to/teach/whatever, I will be a successful missionary.  Baptisms are not everything.  I mean yes, when a soul joins the ranks, that is amazing, but there is so much more to this work!  

We told one of our investigators, Henry, that we were getting transfer calls and we might be leaving.  He was really scared that we would go and he wanted to take us out to eat.  We went to this really yummy mexican restaurant and had a lovely time.  Also we taught him the plan of salvation over some flan, it was the best.  When people start to understand why this is different, there is just a change in their eyes.  The good news is neither of us got transferred so we get to keep teaching him!  

Being a missionary is the best of times.  I love you all very very much!  Thank you for your love and support.  And don't forget to be missionaries too!  I love love love you!

con amor, Hermana Myer

No comments:

Post a Comment